Monday, January 05, 2009

In the Bag and Outta the Sack

Happy Oh-Nine, Everyone!

I think I've spent my quota of craftiness at my craft table lately, so rather than delight you with witty narrative, I'll just post some pics, a video, and some informative captions to illustrate our last two weeks. Ta-Da!

Christmas 2008 found the four of us and Jack-a-Roo, in our own home as our own family unit for the very first time EVER! It was precious and low key, and the coffee I pressed that morning was especially delicious.



Here the girls are coming down the stairs to see what may lay under the tree. This is an annual tradition that Matthew has done since he was a squirt. We four Karger kids used to come from three different levels of the house to converge upon overflowing stockings on Boxing Day while Ma and Pa caught a few extra zzzz's. I guess Santa hit Nymore a little late every year... :)
Natalie was just a little excited - perhaps it was the novelty that the rest of us woke her up and escorted her down the stairs. Either way, she was pumped.



The aftermath, taken using my new toy: a little Gorillapod hooked on the top of a chair. Sweet.



We spent two nights near Park Rapids at a nice resort with Matthew's extended family. It was super snowy and while we didn't get a chance to tear up the trails on snowmobiles, we enjoyed the company, singing karaoke, and swimming in the (indoor) pool. After that we had a long weekend in Bemidji with my fam. Massive meals every night, more fun gifts, and great opprtunities for the girls to play with their cousins. It rocks so much to see our kids playing with my brothers' kids. Leah had them all running around like cheetahs in no time.



Natalie "posed" for some pics while her Nana created her a couple of turkey pies (my all-time, number one, favorite meal).



Every year, we light the bonfire that Dad builds throughout the year with fallen branches, salvadge lumber, and other burnable scraps (one year we tried to light it using gasoline-soaked rose chafers - but that's another blog post). This year's fire was awesome, and it was further enhanced with some fireworks. The little kids didn't enjoy the hiss and pop, but we big kids thought it was rad. Check it:



One of the highlights for me was a visit to Anderson Fabrics Surplus Outlet store.



Stacks of high-quality fabric remnants at unbelievably cheap prices. It's a fabric scrap paradise. Drool with me.



What am I going to do with all of this fabric? I'm not sure, but here's a little of what I've done so far:



"Topo" Pillow:



Arrow Pillow:



Both pillows employ a reverse applique technique that was fun and fairly easy to do. I hope to make more of these, and maybe even sell them in my shop. We shall see. I also have some plans for a new informal dining table cloth, and a formal dining table runner. Too. Much. Fun. :)

All for now. Take care, and remember, that is SOoooooo two thousand eight. ;)

3 comments:

hadjare said...

Natalie's face coming down the stairs is so ... .awesome! What a great picture! I like your family traditions. I want to rustle up some like that for us. Hm.

abcgirl said...

rad pillows. oh, and i like that poppy card design! man. i wish i was a REAL artist like you.

Maiden Rapture said...

Um... I think I'm in LOVE with the Topo pillow. Will you ever put Topo pillows on Etsy?