Friday, May 09, 2008

Maybe I'll Stick to Paper

Leah's latest fascination is big cats: lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards, etc. She's crazy about Disney's "The Lion King" having seen the dvd three or four times and having pored over a junior graphic novel summarizing the story. She updates us with a running list of big cat-related items she wants for her birthday. And she likes to pretend she's a semi-ferocious feline as she prowls the floor, growling and sneaking nibbles on your pant legs.

So, it wasn't surprising when she quickly spotted a tiger-stripe print fabric at Ben Franklin's last week. Being the Crafterall that I am, I made designs to make my sweetheart her very own stuffed tiger. How hard can it be?

I snagged this tutorial for a cat, printed the pattern, expertly cut the fabric, and began sewing, all under the watchful and approving eye of Miss L.B. A couple of hours later, Leah happily holds her new tiger, and I try in vain to stifle my laughter.

In this pic, the finished object looks cute enough:



And even here, it looks fairly passable as a legitimate plaything:



But upon a more intimate look, you can plainly see how awful this thing really looks (Insert "Psycho" theme here):



This tiger was obviously affected by some greenhouse gases or some such tragedy. Poor thing.



Leah, ever-patient and appreciative, and still in love with cats, took the lil' fella in her arms with promises of unconditional love. She even gave him the gift of "life" for any toy by naming him. Her choice is more than appropriate and continues to crack me up when I think of it.

She named him Floppy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can still remember some of the playthings my mom made for me and being positively delighted with them. There's nothing more special than the things your mama makes for you!

hadjare said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.