
As most of you know, I'm on a full-year maternity leave from teaching. While I usually try to make my summers feel like the break they should be, this past summer has felt especially "free" (that is, if you don't count being pregnant during one of the hottest Wisconsin summers, and giving birth to an 8 and a half pound baby).
It may be way too soon to tell, but so far, my new job, the one where I play mommy, teacher, food source, guardian, storyteller, chauffeur, etc. to my two young audience members, is going very well. Ever since we started planning for this stage, I've been nervous about what it would like, and if my days would resemble the old Calgon commercials right off the bat. In reality, an overwhelming sense of joy came over me during my very first day with the girls by myself. I had just put Leah down for her nap, and Natalie was soon to follow. I was nursing her while I was propped up in bed with the new Scott Lynch novel, and I got goosebumps thinking about how "good" and "right" it felt at that moment, and about how freaking lucky I was to be able to have that reality. I didn't get teary, but rather let a great smile stretch across my face, and, without disrupting Natalie much, I raised my arms into the air and whispered, "Yes! This Rocks!"
Special thanks to the sole breadwinner in our family right now for working his tokhes off to bring home the bacon. Thanks, hon.


No comments:
Post a Comment